The history of Mts Verlouw began in 1954 when the 1st generation of Verlouws relocated from Wieringerwerf to Creil (Noordoostpolder) to start farming and cattle breeding. Just before World War II, this area now called the Noordoostpolder was drained of its water to a depth of 5 meters below sea level. The young and arable land left behind was perfect for growing crops. It wasn’t until much later that the cultivation of flower bulbs began. In the mid 1960’s, the first tulips were produced. A few years later, gladioli were also on the field. Blooming tulip fields, grazing cows, and many seed potatoes could be found facing the west edge of the Noordoostpolder. When the 2nd generation arrived in the early 1970’s, the company doubled in size to 60 acres. While dairy cows were found among many Dutch farms, Mts Verlouw said goodbye to them to fully focus on seed potatoes, tulips, gladioli, sugar beets, and wheat. In 1981, gladioli were phased out and lilies were grown instead. This emerging crop in the polder ensured so much employment over the years that other farmers in Creil chose to grow them, too. But in 1991, gladioli were phased out because when grown in combination with tulips, the growing conditions were not ideal. However, the rest of the crops remained. In 2004, the 3rd generation brought many modern ideas to ensure the future of the polder company. Today, tulips and seed potatoes are still the primary crops grown at Mts Verlouw. And at 125 acres, the size of the farm allows storage of all machines and crops and, therefore, allows us to guarantee that the quality you receive will be of the highest.